Huda AbiFares, Khatt Foundation - the Netherlands
Mohammad Elshahed, The Cairobserver/ The British Museum - Egypt/ UK
Joy Mardini, Joy Mardini Design Gallery - Beirut
Junia Elli Jorgji, National Gallery of Canada - Ottawa
Ammar Khammash, Khammash Architects - Jordan
Sahel Al Hiyari, Sahel Al Hiyari Architects - Jordan
Mohammad Al Asad, Center for the Study of the Built Environment - Jordan
Rawan Kashkoush, Dubai Design Week - UAE
Noor Al Dabbagh, Banafsajeel - KSA/UAE
More facilitators to be announced soon.
The course, running from 1 April - 15 May, offers a hands-on experience, taught through the development of personal work and the introduction of case-studies. The course will be co-developed with participants, along with invited curators and designers from across the region who will lead workshops, talks, seminars, and field trips, and acting as mentors to develop exhibition concepts and ideas.
The course will touch on both theoretical and practical areas of curation, offering different perspectives on curation by practitioners, and will cover four basic modules (1) Introduction to curation, conceptualization, and ideation (2) Contemporary design in the Middle East (3) Exhibition development and execution, and (4) Curatorial communications.
Participants are asked to apply with a concept of a design exhibition they would like to curate, and will be expected to develop their personal projects throughout the duration of the course with the help of facilitators and the Amman Design Week team.
The course will take place mostly on afternoons and weekends. A full schedule, as well as a public program of talks, will be provided at a later date. Instruction will be mostly in English.
How to Apply
Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by 15 March 2018,
and should include:
- Contact information; e-mail address, phone number
- A copy of your CV
- Personal statement (300 words max) explaining why you are applying for this course, what you hope to learn from it, and how it will benefit your professional development
- Concept Statement (500 words max) explaining the exhibition concept and idea you wish to develop over the duration of the course
- Applicants can apply in pairs.
- Priority will be given to local participants.
- Priority will be given to those who can attend the full course.
This course is sponsored by: Amman Design Week, The British Council, and CAREEM.