Join the Arabise Me 2008 launch night at the Liverpool Arabic Arts Festival for an informal event featuring a varied selection of artists' interventions, from comical to visceral, high-brow to the immensely entertaining! This is a follow-up on the Arabise Me event that was organized by Ziyarat at the V&A in 2006.
The 1st Arabise Me at the V&A featured the work of Arabic artists from around the globe, most of which have never shown or performed publicly before. New work has been specially commissioned for Arabise Me. It was the first time that a pan-Arabic, contemporary, multi art form event of this kind will take place in England.
Whether you fall under the charm of Saniyeh the Superstar, share in the intimate tales of the Tabbouleh Performer, attend the breathtaking contemporary dance performance of the Ijad Dance Company, take in the intense sounds of Tarek Atoui or Rayess Bek's hip hop verses, or soak in the atmosphere from the comfort of the Hassan Hajajj styled lounge we hope that you will have a blast!
Arabise Me - Liverpool 2008 aims to present a refreshing arts programme from the Arab world including performance, music, video, dance and entertainment. Like Arabise Me - V&A before it, this year’s edition will take place at Liverpool’s main art centre: the Bluecoat. Join us for a fun and informal event and a varied selection of artists’ interventions, from comical to visceral, high-brow to the immensely entertaining. Whether you share in an intimate moment with the charming and personal tales of the Tabbouleh Performer, attend the breathtaking contemporary dance performance of the Ijad Dance Company, or take in the intense and engaging sounds of Tarek Atoui’s live, experimental music performance, or Rayess Bek’s orchestral hip hop beats, we hope that you will have a great time at Arabise Me – Liverpool! Return to top
• Live electronic sound and music performance by Tarek Atoui.
• Live Arabic hip hop & classical music by Rayess Beik and Yann Sound Clash.
• “The Tabouleh Performer” performance by artist Roula Haj Ismail.
• “Saniyah TV Superstar” performance by film maker Katia Saleh.
• Wanna Play? Contemporary Dance performance by the Ijad Dance Company coreographed by Joumana Mourad.
Arabise Me HUB
• Arabic Cafe: Arabic catering provided by Blucoat. Design elements & styling in café & courtyard by artist and designer Hassan Hajjaj.
• Soundscape by musicologist Amine Beyhom.
• Video projection of “Allahu Akbar” by filmmaker Usama Alshaibi.
• Music videos from the Middle East. Arabic Pop Music Videos of different icons of the Arabic TV screens and club scene.