Dubai, 5 - 8 April 2006
Hosted by the Visual Communication Department at the American University in Dubai, in partnership with the Khatt Foundation (Center for Arabic Typography, Amsterdam) and Linotype GmBH (Germany), and in collaboration with the Association Typographique Internationale (ATypI).
The aim of this conference was to bridge the gap between Eastern and Western cultures, and lead to a two-way cultural exchange. It also seeks to enhance the dialogue between calligraphy and typography.
The main topics of Kitabat
• History of Arabic calligraphy and printing
• Arabic type design and technology
• Arabic typography and graphic design in the Middle East
Workshops and panels will include:
the topics of Arabic calligraphy, typeface design, type technology, and type education.
Exhibitions will include:
1. Highlights of the Award winning typefaces from Linotype’s first Arabic Type Design Competition,
2. The Mamluk and Il-Khanid Masterpieces Collection of prints based on a medieval Qur’an manuscript,
3. A selection of Iranian posters from the private collection of Mr. Reza Abedini,
4. Arabic typographic posters work of students from various design academies in the region.
You can read detailed information about the first Kitabat Conference right here!
Kitabat Conference Program
Program Day 1 | Wednesday, 5 April 2006 4:00-6:00 Registration & pickup conference material 6:00-6:30 Opening Ceremony 6:30-7:30 Dr. Nabil Safwat (UAE) Keynote Address 8:00-9:30...
Event: American University in Dubai
Kitabat Workshops8avril 2006
Calligraphy Workshop | Mohamed Zakariya Observing the Calligraphic Process: a practical introduction to Arabic calligraphy. Workshop leader: Mohamed Zakariya. Typography Workshop | Reza Abedini...
Event: Dubai, UAE
Kitabat Desert Safari8avril 2006
An uncomparable expedition into the desert dunes of Dubai. Experience the raw magic of desert atmosphere and a dinner feast amidst the undulating sand dunes, local bedouins, and tasty cuisine.
Linotype Report on Kitabat Conference
Quoted from report on Linotype's website
The first major conference on Arabic calligraphy and typography to take place in the Middle East was hosted by the American University in Dubai (AUD) this April. Entitled “Kitabat: Arabic Calligraphy...